I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.

- William Blake

Friday, May 07, 2021

On YouTube...?

Would you/do you watch YouTube videos about D&D and RPGs?

Which ones and what are your favorite subjects?

Is there something you would like to see?

I am considering starting a channel, but it is just a pipe dream at this moment. The content would be similar to my blog: some OSR, some 5e, other RPGs, a lot of discussion on mechanics, minimalism, weapons, tips, books, etc. Maybe some reviews. Not actual play, not much lore.

I'm not sure if video would be better than text or not. Is that something that interests you? Do you prefer audio or video to text? Or maybe both?

Or do you prefer other platforms? I shouldn't really trust YT after what happened to G+, but to be honest it is the media I use the most (other than podcasts).

BTW... podcasts would be an interesting alternative. But I don't know the first thing on how to make them. So YT might actually be easier.

One last thing: I'm not a native speaker. And I'd rather use images than my face on the video. Would any of that turn you off from listening to me? (I won't be offended, I'm genuinely curious).

Thank you!

10 comments:

  1. I can listen to long podcasts but have no tolerance for long videos. If it's over a 1/2 hour on YouTube I'll have to think about it, over an hour and its a hard pass. I can only speak for myself though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is very useful! I do the same; cannot stand long videos, but love podcasts.

      Delete
  2. Check Auspex Tactis (wargame related) in YT. He uses slides and voiceover to great extent. But whatever you do get a proper microphone AND more importantly some acoustic treatment. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check this channel: https://youtube.com/c/Stoneworks

    I think it would work if you kept your videos focused (one mechanic or topic at a time), short (20 min or less, ideally around 10), with good sound quality, and something interesting to look at (information summary, art, books being referenced).

    Think Dungeon Craft but with slides instead of your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this is good advice! Will check! I really enjoy Dungeon Craft, and I think I could do something with slides.

      Delete
  4. Check this channel: https://youtube.com/c/Stoneworks

    I think it would work if you kept your videos focused (one mechanic or topic at a time), short (20 min or less, ideally around 10), with good sound quality, and something interesting to look at (information summary, art, books being referenced).

    Think Dungeon Craft but with slides instead of your face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of blogs. Most of the time read D&D blogs when I can squeeze in a few minutes of personal time but I can't listen to audio (like a podcast) or watch a video. I also use the Pocket app so I can listen to blogs when I'm doing yardwork or driving. I suppose I could listen to podcasts when driving but generally I don't. I've found most D&D podcasts are too lengthy for the amount of content.

    I *will* watch Matt Colville's Running the Game series but I frequently fall way behind and miss things. I've not even started to watch The Alexandrian's videos for the same reason.

    The other advantage of blogs is being able to go back and find key information later. It is very easy with a search function to find key text in a blog. That doesn't work with a podcast or a video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jumping off this, perhaps a video channel could be something of more free form structure? The initial circulation of ideas before more longform writing? I don't know what works better for your thought process though.

      Delete
    2. Thank you both for the insights!
      I like both ideas - using posts to create videos, or use videos to create discussion on future posts. Let's see what we can do...

      Delete