I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.

- William Blake

Sunday, January 07, 2024

A Princess of Mars

 "A Princess of Mars" is a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs (the creator of Tarzan among other things). It is a classic in a " foundational" way, since it has influenced innumerable other authors (Vance, Clarke, Heinlein, Wells, Bradbury), movies (Star Wars, Avatar), comic books (including Superman), RPGs (it is not only in the appendix N, but also has monsters included in the original D&D, and inspired Dark Sun, Tékumel and Carcosa, among others), etc.

The book tells the story of a Confederate veteran, Jonh Carter, that gets transported to Mars (which natives call Barsoom) in a mysterious way while being chased by Apaches.

Carter soon finds out that the conditions of Mars (e.g., lower gravity) give him superhuman strength and other amazing powers. In this planet, he first faces the Green Martians, tall, four-armed creatures that are warlike and primitive, but still occasionally noble and courageous (the typical “noble savages”). Carter soon earns their respect due to his fighting prowess, and gets welcomed in their ranks. 

Later on, he will meet and fall in love with a captured princess from the Red Martians – a people that is closer to humanity and more technologically advanced, but also have their own violent feuds.


As you can guess, we are in the " science fantasy" genre, mixing sword and sorcery, western, and scientific speculation (about the Martian environment). 

Even though there might be some obvious parallels between Carter's fight with the Apache and the martians, or Arizona and Mars, the author doesn't dwell on it. For the most part, this is a two-fisted tale about a man thrown into a strange world, and forced to solve most of his problems with a fist to the jaw. 

The book grows progressively more violent until civilizations clash in open war, with Carter willing to kill unwary enemy soldiers who gets on his way.

While the plot feels formulaic at times (the foreign hero who unites the disordered people to save the princess, etc.), the narrative is fast and full of action, and the world-building is simply superb. The ending feels a bit rushed and unexplained, but this doesn't detract much from the rest of the book.

Fortunately, there are several sequels – the series has a total of eleven books. The first few books in the series including this one are in the public domain in most places - you can get it for free here.

Overall, I found it a great read, not only because of its huge influence on D&D and pop culture, but also because it's a fun adventure book, with an awesome setting and good action.

Recommended!

11 comments:

  1. I love the barsoom books. Tarzan is pretty good too, beyond the furthest star, a different science fantasy story is amazing too. Pretty much all of ERBs books follow a similar formula, but I feel that they are fast paced enough and have enough variety to keep your interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to check both Tarzan and the other Barsoom books! Will certainly try "The Gods of Mars" at the very least...

      Delete
    2. The Tarzan books, I find, are often bogged down by repetitive episodes of Tarzan fighting animals and other minor stuff. However, there is still a lot of more interesting adventure or inspiring locations in them. The racism, though... sometimes hard to stomach.

      Overall, I much prefer the Barsoom books. If you liked the first, you should definitely pursue the rest!

      Pellucidar has an interesting setting, but the first novel (At the Earth's Core) manages to be quite boring.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the recommendations Tamás, will check the rest of the series!

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of Barsoom. I associate it most strongly with Frazetta's illustrations though. I also like ERB's Moon Maid series, Carson of Venus, and Pellucidar. The latter is actually much more detailed than I'd initially realized. There's even a crossover where Tarzan visits! Not having read any other Tarzan I still enjoyed the book. If you'd like to try more fiction from the early 20th century I'd recommend taking a look at Leigh Brackett and CL Moore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great recommendations! I've just finished Brackett's The Ginger Star (one of her later era novels), and it was good - although, overall, I prefer her earlier stuff.

      Just curious, as a pulp aficionado, what's your take on Lin Carter? Most of his stuff is pretty sub par, but I had fun reading his Green Star novels.

      Delete
    2. That's not fair, I knew Lin Carter casually. I always enjoyed his work, although he himself would say that it was just meant to be fun. Not too thrilled to hear a man's life work dismissed as "sub par."

      Delete
    3. Sorry, "sub par" might be too harsh, yeah. "Uneven" is a better word. I don't dismiss all his work - definitely not dismissing his work as an editor and anthologist.

      I read a lot of his novels, which means they were fun. I didn't quit any of them half way (I did, however, drop series, because I feel he himself lost interest in some of them and just didn't fill them with as much interesting/fun elements).

      The Green Star books were great, as I said. The first three or so Callisto books I enjoyed, but lost interest after that. His Conan I don't like. However, Thongor had some great elements.

      What are your favorites from his output of fiction?

      Delete
    4. I haven't read anything by him recently with the exception of re-reading the Callisto series. I had a great time. I recall loving the World's End and Green Star series as well. I also read his Flashing Swords and Year's Best Fantasy books regularly. I wasn't a fan of Conan until recently, and then I read Howard's work only, unaltered.

      Delete
    5. I've read Black Gods Kiss and found it very enjoyable... must check more CL Moore, Brackett and Lin Carter.

      In fact, I might intensify my "Appendix N tour" in 2024, would be a cool project.

      Thanks for the recommendations!

      Delete
    6. Cool, cool, keep us posted! (I go under evil scientist on the rainbow OSR discord server, feel free to ping me for recs or to discuss)!

      Delete