I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.

- William Blake

Saturday, March 05, 2022

GM's Day Sale 2022 (III) - D&D 5e and compatible

It's that time of the year again... DTRPG's biggest sale!

I've already listed my OSR picks and Classic D&D picks with the biggest discounts available (30%). Now on to fifth edition!

Let's begin by saying that I like 5e, and I have written some 5e-compatible books myself, all included in this sale (about weapons, armor and monsters - the first one is 30% off). 100 Magic Weapons also has some 5e inspired stats and is 30% off.

As you know, however, D&D 5e does not have legal PDFs of their physical books in DTRPG. There is 3rd-party stuff (like mine) in DTRPG and the DM's guild.

Anyway, these are the ones I can recommend (all 30% books that I own and enjoy). The last one is my own.



These also look interesting (and 30% off) but I have no idea if they are any good (see some considerations below, and let me know in the comments if you have tried those!):

Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron ("official", i.e., from Wizards of the Coast)

My favorite 3rd-party 5e adventure
The Chapel on the Cliffs is probably of the best 3rd-party 5e adventures I've ever played. Recommended.

Kobold Press
Kobold Press makes some of my favorite 3rd-party monster books, like Tome of Beasts and Creature Codex. The first three books on the list are theirs; I'm guessing the have the same quality throughout all their books.

EN Publishing and "Advanced 5E"
EN Publishing has a popular line of "Advanced 5E" books, adding more player options, monsters, etc. to your games. I think 5e has too many things as it is - if anything, I'd bee looking for a "basic" 5e like Into the Unknown (my impressions) - but these books look impressive and, at the very least, ambitious - each book has 500 pages or more. They are not 30% off, however.

More monsters
One thing I feel is missing in 5e is more monster VARIATIONS, i.e., goblin shamans, burning zombies, and so on. Monster Manual Expanded and Monster Manual Expanded II apparently fill that niche and are 30% off.

Modern 5e
Books like Esper Genesis 5E Core ManualUltramodern5 REDUX and GeneFunk 2090 Core Rulebook look amazing. I wouldn't play a modern-day version of 5e, but I think the system is perfect for space opera.
The Esper Genesis 5E Threats Database is included in the GMing in SPACE! [BUNDLE], which seems to be the best deal here if you're interested in alien 5e monsters (and Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells, an OSR game I can recommend).

Campaign stuff
The DM's guild has tons of material to enhance "official" 5e campaigns. One I've used and recommend is the Tomb of Annihilation Companion; you can find similar stuff for ALL official campaigns and they are often very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment