I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.

- William Blake

Thursday, May 09, 2024

Ability scores generation: method X (B/X? S&S?)

In the past few days, I've been considering the many methods of generating abilities scores (again...) for my S&S game. 

The most popular are 3d6 in order (OD&D, B/X, etc.) and 4d6, drop lowest (AD&D, Method I). However, AD&D has several other methods - why can't I find a favorite?

Well, someone else did the math. Turns out that 3d6 in order gives you an average of 10.5, and Method I gives you 12.24. And ALL the other AD&D methods give you results that are HIGHER than 12.24. 

So there is nothing between the two most popular methods.

But remember, B/X modifiers are bigger than AD&D. If you look at damage modifiers, for example Strength 13 in B/X is similar to 16 in AD&D (+1 damage), and a 16 in B/X means 18 in AD&D (+2 damage). A B/X PC with lots of 16s and 17s looks too powerful, adn a 18 should be extremely exceptional.

I like stats that look like the picture below: above average but not "epic". An average of 11-12, a couple of impressive abilities (14-17), and almost NO dismal abilities. I think someone just chose these abilities instead of rolling, but they feel about right for me.



[Notice that HP is also above average - maybe maximum HP at level 1?]

I feel that what is missing is a list of B/X methods, similar to AD&D: start with 3d6 in order and add several options that give you slightly higher results.

Anyway, I've heard one method I particularly liked: roll 3d6 in order, but re-roll 1s. 

This gives you:

- Average 12.
- Minimum 6.
- Low ability are unlikely or impossible, but high ability scores are not so common either (less than 1% chance of getting a 18, which is lower than AD&D).
- A decent chance of getting a 15+ for one ability at least. 

If you want the possibility of sub-par abilities, re-roll 1s ONCE, so you could STILL get a 3... But it is very rare.

The typical abilities would be something like 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Feels almost perfect!


I'm probably using that for my S&S book. 

A regular adventurer is above average in MOST things, can still have a flaw, but is unlikely to be Conan by level 1 either. 

I'll certainly include ability score improvements as you level up, so you can eventually get that 18 if you want.

[IF I were to use point buy, I'm thinking that maybe giving PCs something like 75 points to distribute - but positive modifiers costing points, so that 18 (+3) would cost 21 - would encourage fewer low abilities but also not many high ones. But that is probably for another post...]

10 comments:

  1. If you want to boost characters a little more consider 2d6+6. Avg 13.5.
    Min of 8. High likelihood of at least one 15+.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2d6+6 has a good range (8 to 18), but avg 13.5 is a bit too high for me.

      I've heard 4d4+2 which sounds fine too.

      Delete
    2. 4d4+2!!!! Dont do that to yourself man hahah

      Delete
    3. Hahahah I know it sounds horrible but the numbers kinda work for me.

      Delete
  2. Huh, I'm pretty sure 3e's standard abilities array was 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 too, though I'd have to go back and check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is 3e "elite array" or something

      Delete
  3. But what exactly is what you dont like the 3d6 in order? Is it because you feel that the characetrs are underpowered on a median? If so, one way to help it is to allow to increase attributes during the game. This will not complicate character creation and serve as a dopamine boost from time to time. You can tie it to level ups or to magic items, and make it random like "roll over stat on a d20 to increase it"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The issue with 3d6 in order is how frequently under-powered characters will be produced. An array of 12, 11, 9, 8, 7, 4 is undesirable. The alternative methods are intended to hedge against that.

      Delete
    2. Yes, exactly, I just feel PCs should be a bit above average. Even at level 1.

      Especially, I want to avoid very low stats.

      But I also agree with Jack that increasing during the game is a viable alternative.

      Delete
    3. I like the system you came up with. S&S characters, in the fiction, start out competent. So the game characters should have at least a bit of an edge, too.

      Delete