I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.

- William Blake

Sunday, September 22, 2024

Random ticking clocks - simplified!

When PCs go back to civilization, roll 1d100. If the result is  lower than the number of days passed since they left, an interesting event might have occurred. If the result is EQUAL than the event happens in the day they arrive! If the result is higher, there is no event for now (but it can happen in a few days...).

If there is an event, roll 1d100 again and check the table below:

01-05. Comet, eclipse, etc.
06-10. Death of an important NPC (old age, accident, disease, adventure/war, assassination)
11-15. Drought
16-20. Earthquake
21-25. Famine
26-30. Fire
31-35. Flood
36-40. Important birth or marriage
41-45. Incursion
46-50. Inflation
51-55. Invasion (roll random encounter, multiply NA by 1 to 5).
56-60. Plague
61-65. Rebellion
66-70. Shortage
71-75. Sinkhole
76-80. Storm
81-85. Volcano
86-90. War
96-100. No event

Results ending in 1 or 6 are mild; 5 or 0 means disaster. E.g., 46 means some inflation, 50 means prices are tripled or worse.

A natural disaster may kill/displace 1d100% of the town's population.

Let me know which other entries I can add to the list!

---

How did we get here?

As if often happens, my first attempt at creating a new house rule ended up being more complex than I'd like.

In response to my last post and questions, I got a couple of good "random disaster" lists that are relevant - one in Oriental Adventures, the other in the RC.

The Rules Cyclopedia lists "Dominion Events" on page 142. It mentions 1d4 events per year, and list both natural (tornados, earthquakes, etc.) and unnatural (rebellion, assassination) ones.

Here is a brief excerpt:


The other source mentioned was Oriental Adventures, which also has a pretty good list. 

My list is a combination of the two, reducing them to the one is found most interesting. 

Ideally, I'd turn that into 100 entries, each with a bit more detail. I think I could add more events as I think of them, including some positive ones (unnaturally good harvest, population increase, arrival of an important NPC), plus extreme heat or cold, mass insanity, mass heresy, etc.

Most entries should be mild to avoid wiping up the place every year.

I want to keep boring/subtle stuff to a minimum.

One thing to notice is that some entries will be notice by the PCs while travelling - comets, earthquakes, etc. So maybe I should roll beforehand.

Well, this will do for now... I'll run a game this week and the clock is ticking!

Anyway, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment