Have you noticed that there's only about 100 days left until the end of the year?
I realized that by chance, and it made me a little anxious. I still have a few goals for 2026 that are far from being completed.
It hasn't been a total failure, though. I read almost all the books I had planned to read (and wrote several reviews here), wrote a few posts and pages of my new setting (which I also shared here), among other things. The two most difficult tasks were meditation and finishing writing a few (short) books. I had planned to meditate for just 10 minutes a day, and I couldn't even manage half of that consistently.
Well, 100 is a nice round number, and if I can complete just 1% of what's left each day, I should be able to finish some of those goals quite easily. I'll need to meditate for 20 minutes a day, and if I write less than a page a day, I can easily finish my latest neoclone (a minimalist version of B/X that I've been discussing for years), which should end up at under 100 pages, many of which are already written.
Maintaining that kind of consistency is certainly a challenge for me, but perhaps the challenge itself can serve as motivation to keep trying. And if I fail, at least something good will come out of it: in January 2027, if I'm not satisfied enough to publish it on DTRPG, I'll make the unfinished document available here on the site instead. Maybe I'll do both, who knows. Also, I'm running a campaign so I can play-test some rules in real time.
Or maybe I'll just vow to abandon the project after that, or at least leave it aside for 2027. This can't go on forever.
Now that I've shared this with all of you, I'll feel pressured to make at least some effort in that direction. I can't promise I'll write every day, but I'll try to keep up the pace, maybe seven pages a week, and so on.
I plan to READ and COMMENT on B/X, page by page, just as I already did with almost the entire AD&D DMG, while also examining point by point which aspects I'd like to change.
(Actually, that may be the hardest part: deciding what I prefer. Ascending or descending AC? Roll high or roll low? Skills? Doesn't matter. I'll make an effort to reach a decision within a finite amount of time.)
In any case, I'll share as I go and welcome your comments and opinions.
What about you? Do you have any "end-of-year resolutions" for the next 100 days? Any books to read or projects to finish? Let me know in the comments!
No comments:
Post a Comment