I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.

- William Blake

Thursday, April 13, 2023

The controversial "Old School Feats" is gold!

Old School Feats is now a gold bestseller on DTRPG!

This is my most controversial book yet - although I cannot say I always understand WHY. I've got mixed opinions - unlike my other books (which received overwhelmingly positive reviews). I've heard several people saying that the entire concept of "feats" is incompatible with old school games in general, an idea I tried to debunk here, or disliking the book for other reasons (e.g., "there are not enough feats" - it has 74, as mentioned in the blurb). 

On the other hand, I've got some positive reviews and several people said they LOVED the book - and the overall rating is 4.3 stars out of 5 (unfortunately, lower than my average 4.5). There are also mixed reviews such as this.

Me? I have to admit I really like how the book turned out. I definitely do not court controversy on purpose. I understand some people will dislike it and, if you think feats are not for your Old School games, feel free to skip this one! However, if you like the idea - or at least think it COULD work - I'm confident you'll find these feats simple, quick and balanced.

If you liked the book, positive ratings and reviews are really helpful. If you think there is something mistaken or unbalanced, let me know in the comments so I can reflect on it and fix it! And if you haven't read it, here is a discount coupon (I'll leave it here for a while).


OLD SCHOOL FEATS is a collection of feats for old-school games. If you like "Basic" games and its clones (Old School Essentials, Basic Fantasy RPG, Labyrinth Lord, etc.), or even other OSR games, and want to expand character options, you'll certainly enjoy this one!
 
I love the simplicity of the old school classics, and these feats add customization to your character without adding much complexity to your games. Take a look at the previews to see for yourself!
 
Notice that this is not exactly compatible with Dark Fantasy Basic. Instead, it adapts some ideas from DFB to use with other, more traditional, games (see above).
 
In these pages, you'll find:

- 74 feats, with a special focus on fighters and thieves (20 feats each).
- Suggested feat progressions for each class, starting on level 2.
- Notes on creating and picking feats (randomly, deliberately, or with feats packages).
- Over 20 feat packages (War Priest, Ironclad Dwarf, Knight, Warlock, Mountebank) to help you choose your feats according to one of these archetypes.
- Optional rules, including separating race from class, unified XP tables, and flaws.
- Designer's notes on how to use feats and why I added them.
- ... and many other tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment