I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.

- William Blake

Monday, July 10, 2023

Target 30

I must have proposed a dozen different systems for D&D skill/tasks already. 

B/X, one of the simplest forms of D&D available, has at least three or four - often for the same kind of test (e.g., hiding or climbing), sometimes even for the same character (e.g., the Halfling). Finding the perfect method is elusive, since each has its pros and cons. Usually, I favor methods that:

- Take levels AND ability scores into account.
- Use "roll high", with a natural 20 being the best result.
- Fit well with other rolls, such as combat, saving throws and thief skills.

My favorite so far is "fractional skills", which I refined to use in Dark Fantasy Basic, and still using in my current campaign. Xd6 roll under is also a favorite because the results match well with thief skills.

But I think there is another option. I have been a fan or Target 20 for a long time, and I have recently tried be67 with my friend Jens, which might have given me this idea:

Roll 1d20 + ability score + level (if appropriate), with a target of 30.


For example, a 4th level thief with Dex 14 rolls 1d20+14+4 to open locks, succeeding if he rolls 12 or more (i.e., 45% of the time). By level 14th, he is succeeding 95% of the time.

This system works especially well for me for a couple of reasons. First, my PCs have ability scores that average about 11 by first level*. Second, they have a few opportunities of raising abilities scores with feats. This brings us closer to an ideal Target 18 - i.e., close to 1-in-6 chances for untrained PCs (as B/X intended), but adjusted to their ability scores. Third, it makes each point matter for ability scores.

* I'm using something slightly more benevolent than "3d6 in order" to begin with (average 10.5 for each ability score). If you're using 4d6 drop lowest, this works even better to create heroic PCs. An average ability score of 12.2 is very close to 1-in-6 chances. And it would work perfectly for Knave too, as the abilities average more than 11.


To smooth things out, there is ALWAYS a chance of success or failure. If you roll a natural 20 and still fail, you can try again with a +10 bonus. Conversely, if you roll a natural 1 and would still succeed (e.g., a level 14 thief with 16 Dexterity), you must roll again with a -10 penalty or fail.

This solution seems decent for climbing, jumping, hiding, tracking, finding, etc. Use 25 for intermediate tasks or "minor tests" (e.g., open doors), 20 for most simple tasks (almost equivalent to "d20 roll under"), 35 for the nearly impossible (e.g. "bend bars" or the thief lesser skills such as hear noise and read languages).

The DC for surviving Resurrection/System shock is 15. Very close to AD&D.

The DC to understand spells is 20. Close to AD&D again.

I'm not sure I would use this for spellcasting and combat, however; the difference from B/X would be too great. Which is a downside compared to Dark Fantasy Basic, that uses a single system for everything.

Curiously, I think something similar to this could work well even for 5e D&D. Add 10 to the usual DCs (use 22 to 24 as default), reduce the proficiency bonus (maybe 1/4 level, apply to all saves and skills, half level+2 if you have expertise). If you are not familiar with 5e, this would require a longer explanation, which I'll avoid here since I'm not playing 5e anymore. But it could easily be the basis for a minimalist version of 5e.

Well, I like it. Maybe I should use it if I write something AD&Dish in the future...

4 comments:

  1. My hesitation would be, like roll under stat systems, it makes level secondary. You have to be 12th level before your level is contributing as much to your success as even an average stat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mathematically, target 30 it assumes an ability of 10.5 (12.2 in AD&D), so your ability score only contribute as it deviates from that (e.g., 1-5 points in Knave or if you're using a 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 array like I sometimes do).

      It does make ability scores more important, and makes then feel as if they are contributing more, you're right.

      Notice, however, that except for thief skill most tasks described here (forage, learn spells, open doors, resurrection and even hiding and climbing for non-thieves) are not affected by level AT ALL in the original.

      This is also a good reason to allow some ability score improvements with level.

      Delete
  2. Minor correction: the chance of d20 ≥ 12 is 45%, not 40%.

    This is one reason why I like roll-under: it's less easy to make this kind of mistakes, because the target number (relative to the die size) _is_ the chance of success.

    By the way, d20+A+L ≥ 30 is equivalent to d20 ≤ A+L-9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction, will fix!

      Roll-under has its perks... I just dislike switching from roll high to roll low all the time. Also, "Target 30" feels more intuitive than the equivalent "Ability-9". But both can work, sure.

      Delete